Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Sampler

From: Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 13:00:23 EET

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Pete Leigh wrote:

> But if he's accepted the LS license being talked about, it's not the
> GPL, it's the GPL plus an exception disallowing commercial use.
> A different beast.

 What I was caught up with was §6 of the GPL where it says
 "You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise
 of the rights granted herein."
 But apparently this only affects the right to "copy, distribute or
 modify" the software, not acctually running it.

 OTOH this raises the interesting question: what's to stop me from
 taking the GPL source, modifying it a bit and releasing it as
 LinuxSamplerXP with no extra restrictions? The source is GPL and
 according to §6 I have GPL, and only GPL, rights to modify the source
 and create a derivative work. I then release it as "pure" GLP.

 I'm by no means a GPL expert. These thoughts are merely toughts.
 I'd love to hear from someone with proper GPL knowledge.

 Regards,

  Peder