Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 17:56:40 EET

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 09:32:50AM +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> ross@email-addr-hidden (Ross Vandegrift) writes:
>
> > close-micing instruments [..] condensor mic
>
> We should also be aware that static mics are sensitive to high SPLs'
> and might be broken by too high a volume, as I understand it.

I am not familiar with the term "static mic".
Neither dynamic nor condensor (aka capacitor) mics are
inherently fragile at high SPL.

You may be thinking of ribbon mics? Those *are* typically fragile and
many can be destroyed by high SPL or a simple strong puff of air (but
modern ones are more robust than old ones used to be).

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com