[linux-audio-user] Re: Where to put your plugins

From: Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 13:29:16 EET

2005/12/9, Bill Allen <bwanab+lau@email-addr-hidden>:
> Another question that might be generic, but I'm asking specifically in
> the case of ardour. Why does one choose to put which plugins pre-fader
> or post-fader. In other words, which plugins work best pre-fader and
> which work best post-fader? Are there general rules that one can apply?
> For example I would think that compression should be pre-fader since it
> wouldn't seem to make sense to be compressing after you've set levels.

As far as I know: Plugins that modify the original sound and where you
(possibly) don't want the original sound to be still there are put
pre-fader, everything else post-fader.
Classic setup seems to be:
 - pre-fader: Gates, Compressors, basicly any kind of dynamics, EQ's,
Chorus/Flanger/etc, DeEsser, Denoiser, some delays, send to monitor
 - post-fader: (either as one effect per channel or send-to-bus)
Reverb, Delay, some choruses...
For example the Jamin-insert in my setup is always pre-fader in the
master-channel...

But there is an even bigger rule than the things listed above:

  If it sounds right, its right!

Keep on rocking,

Arnold

--