Re: [linux-audio-user] Who has experiences with PAM?

From: Burkhard Ritter <burkhard.ritter@email-addr-hidden-mail.uni-wuerzburg.de>
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 21:12:19 EET

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 04:44:11PM +0100, Michael Bohle wrote:
> I am looking for users and developers which deal with audio RT kernel
> items. I used RT-LSM till now to regulate the user audio rights.
> http://www.opensuse.org/index.php/RT_Kernel_Instructions
>
> It is all about that openSUSE contains an audio distribution.
> www.opensuse.org/JackLab - www.jacklab.net
> This requires a SUSE-kernel according to the standard, which is patched
> for "rt full preemt". This Kernel will be available in our
> apt4rpm-repository at gwdg.de.
>
> Takashi Iwai and Matthias Nargorni has made clear to me, that RT-LSM is
> obsolent and PAM should be used instead. In addition, PAM is already
> available in the current SUSE Kernel.
>
> Who has experiences with PAM for SCHED_FIFO priorities ?
> Who could help to arrange dealing with PAM and RT for musicians?
> In generally, who can help to tune up the suse standard kernel to audio
> rt ?
>
> Finaly there will be a very userfriendly audio distribution based on
> openSUSE.
>
> Regards,
> Michael

If you are using a recent kernel (>=2.6.12) and a recent pam-package
(>=0.80) then, if I am right, everything sould already be working. You
would adjust the limits.conf to contain something like

@audio - rtprio 100
@audio - nice -10
@audio - memlock 4000000

Thus the group audio could run programs with realtime privileges.

Note, that I myself still use an older patched pam version (apparently
"rt_priority" changed to "rtprio") and therefore have not tested the
above suggestions.

If the suse-pam-package is too old, it would eventually be easier to
build a new one (>=0.80) than to patch the old.

Hope that help,
Burkhard