[linux-audio-user] No sound from streaming audio + ALSA

From: Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao <pmcaragao-ag@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 18:35:14 EET

Hi,

I recently switched from OSS to ALSA and no sound comes from streaming audio.
CD playing with xmms or cdplay works correctly. Streaming audio with xmms or
gxine produces no sound. I can see that the server was contacted and the
player is reproducing the stream, but only a hissing sound comes from the
loudspeakers. I ruled out mixer problems because CD playing produces sound.

I'm running Debian sid, kernel 2.6.14-2-686, on a Fujitsu E342 laptop, with
onboard ES1879-chip Soundblaster-compatible soundcard. I've attached the
output of the http://alsa.opensrc.org//aadebug.txt script.

I'm really puzzled why CD playing produces sound but streaming audio doesn't.
I googled on 'alsa streaming audio sound linux' and was surprised that nobody
seemed to have bumped into this.

Could anybody give me any leads on how to pursue this problem further ?

Thanks for your attention,
Paulo