Re: [linux-audio-user] Making Audio on Linux Just Work: (1) defining the goals

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 00:48:43 EET

On Monday 12 December 2005 16:47, Paul Davis was like:
>  RECORDING
>
>           - record from hardware inputs
>               * use default audio interface
>               * use other audio interface
>               * specify which h/w input to use
>               * control input gain
>           - record from other application(s)
>           - record from live (network-delivered) compressed audio
>                   streams

If, I understand correctly, you're talking to desktop designers, sound capable
systems should have clear icons on the toolbar or wherever for sound mixer
and simple record button as standard. I also find having a 'Restart Sound
System' menu item rather useful at times.

Applications also need to give sensible error messages in the case that ALSA
is un/misconfigured, prompting them to rerun alsaconf or whatever. I have
found inclusion of the aadebug script immensely useful so put that as:
    - provide a standard interface for debugging/configuring the sound system
Or something like that.

I'd be interested to hear how this discussion goes. Keep us posted please.

--
cheers,
tim hall