Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound

From: The Other <sstubbs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 10:03:08 EET

On Monday 12 December 2005 05:16 pm, tim hall wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 December 2005 17:48, Paul Winkler was like:
> > http://slinkp.com/~paul/dont_get_sad_mix_20051206.mp3
> >

> > I played guitar and sang backups (badly), my wife sang lead
> > (beautifully).

Yes, your wife sings melodically and very well. Congratulations.
A creative suggestion: if the lyrics are important and need to be
heard, perhaps she could articulate more on the consonants. Legato
singing is not an easy technique, but it can be mastered. Google
might bring up some legato tutorial techniques for you.

I don't think your backup singing was done badly, but was done without
confidence or you were trying to sing quietly. A creative
suggestion: record your backup track separately. Put a lot more
volume into your singing when recording. You can adjust to the
proper level in the mixdown.

Except for opera trained women, male singers will outpower female
singers 95% of the time. Singing quietly is one of the toughest
techniques to master, even harder than legato singing. So why give
yourself more difficulty than you need to? Record your wife first,
then record yourself. Put as much vocal power into your take as is
musically appropriate, then at mixdown balance the takes.

Hope this Helps,
Stephen.