Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: The best distro for music creation

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 04:28:52 EET

On Tue December 13 2005 19:11, Loki Davison wrote:
> opengl use? if you can create, i.e design and build, a card
> with comparable (3D) performance to my nvidia pci-e 6600le
> sli, write open source drivers, for around 30 euro, i.e the
> price i payed for my nvidia, i'd be very happy to buy one from
> you, as would the rest of us. Otherwise i'll stick with my
> nvidia.

Lee wasn't suggesting you drop your use of nvidia.... he was
suggesting that if you want proprietary video drivers, and
you're dissatisfied with your machine's realtime performance,
you're either going to have to lobby nvidia (or ati) to make
their stuff work with realtime kernels, since they have access
to their code and the kernel guys don't, or you're going to have
to suck it up.

I remember having to turn down my graphics acceleration settings
to reduce xruns in my distant Windows past, so it's not like the
situation is unique to free software.

Rob