Re: OT: Accelerated 3D GFX cards with Free drivers (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: The best distro for music creation)

From: Sean Edwards <cybersean3000@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 00:16:42 EET

My experience is at best anecdotal, but my VooDoo 3D
AGP card has been supported for a few years; too bad
they are out of business now. Tux Racer and Chromium
scream across my screen on just have a K7 500Mhz with
768 MB RAM.

I don't know if anybody remembers getting nvidia cards
to work under RedHat 7.1 or 7.2, but the instructions
included "patching" (more like creating a memory hole)
in the kernel for the card to work. Comparing old
apples to old apples, I prefer my VooDoo 3D.

Rather than going out to get the latest and greatest
hardware, I tend to look first at what is currently
supported under Linux. It may not be the newest, but
at least it will work, and usually work well. Code
maturity is important when considering hardware
drivers.

Currently, I am trying to decide between an RME
Hammerfall and an M-Audio Delta 1010 audio card. Just
as the 3D provides video performance, the RME
Hammerfall does the same for audio, off loading the
audio processing away from the main cpu. The alsa
project also says both cards are supported.

That's my $.02US anyway.

-=cybersean3000=-