[linux-audio-user] Re: OT: Accelerated 3D GFX cards with Free drivers (was

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <kjetil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 02:15:44 EET

After working as a linux-audio sysadmin for 4 years, heres my
experience with gfx-cards (my memory might be a bit unaccurate though):

Matrox 400+500: Had four of those. All the machines were somewhat unstable
for unknown reasons, also in windows. I'll probably never trust matrox
again. I think the sharpness of those cards are overhyped, at least with
long cables, its not as good as the gforce cards I have tried.

Ati: Tried two the newer types 8xxx/9xxx. One of them have a picture
that sometimes is a bit psychedelic, the other one caused crashes and had
to be replaced (with a gforce card).

Built-in intel graphics driver: Two of those, very old type. No problem,
exept that it couldn't handle 1600x1200 resolution with at least 16bit
colors. Very sharp pictures.

Nvidia rio (or something): Had two of those. No problem with the open
source drivers, but the pictures were quite blury.

Nforce built-in gfx-card: Tried something like 4-5 of those. All works,
but they need the binary-driver, and the picture is not sharp. Bad stuff.

Nvidia gforce 2,3 and 4: Had something like 8 of them. All worked
flawlessly with extremely sharp pictures. No problem with latency, because
they work just fine with the open-source drivers. My next gfx card will
probably be a gforce 4, if its still possible to buy it.

Nvidia gforce fx: Tried one of those. In the beginning, the open
source driver were horrible slow, so I had to use the binary driver.
But that was fixed later, and now it works just fine with the open source
driver. Very sharp picture, just like the other gforce cards.