Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: The best distro for music creation

From: Esben Stien <b0ef@email-addr-hidden-stien.name>
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 09:57:13 EET

Tracey Hytry <shakti@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> we prolly need to make more noise to the kernel folks to be sure
> things are clean, and to the nvidia people that they need to accept
> that it's a new world where preemption is the norm.

Consider that a lost battle. It's more a cry to all you folks who buy
hardware that requires proprietary software to stop doing it, but of
course, most don't see what's really happening. When you buy, you vote
and you're sending the wrong signal that this is accepted. We don't
want to keep people busy reverse engineering hardware.

The highest performance GPU available today with free software is
r280, as far as I know, but some success is close with the r300
project.

Tomorrows desktops are GPU accellerated and we definitely need a
solution. I know we will find a solution somehow, or I'll be running
the r280 until the end of time, even such a die hard free software
gamer that I am.

We need a free hardware revolution and I'm quite confident it will
happen, cause these current companies are so blind they don't even see
the demand.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@email-addr-hidden     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m