Re: [linux-audio-user] Making Audio on Linux Just Work: (1) defining the goals

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Sat Dec 17 2005 - 22:51:37 EET

On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 12:36 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I don't know if it's implied somewhere in the comments above but I
> think that, as a user coming from the Windows and recently Mac world
> that making sure pretty much everything out there that gets linked on
> a web page should be able to play from in the browser you are using.
> There are some strange aspects about mplayer and web browsers, at
> least on my systems, which can end up with multiple mp3's playing at
> the same time. Stuff like starting an mp3/ogg/xxx file playing, and
> then hitting the back button, should stop the audio, or if it doesn't,
> hitting another audio link should stop the previous one from playing.

Because the Linux browsers are garbage. For some reason the people who
develop them worry about bullshit like extensions and toolbars and
making sure the apps are translated into Xhosa than fixing basic
usability bugs like this.

Simple things don't even work, like, if I click a media link that opens
an external player, then it finishes playing, then I click another link,
rather than opening in the same player it launches a new one.
Eventually I have 50 media players open.

Lee