Re: [linux-audio-user] FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

From: <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 16:58:04 EET
('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:31 , Sean Edwards <cybersean3000@email-addr-hidden> sent:

>This may be anti-open, but here it goes. I think if
>you want to copyright a piece of music in the U.S.A,
>it needs to be in standard music notation. This
>requirement may be a Library of Congress requirement,
>but I am not sure.

    Sorry, but this is incorrect. Since 1998 any piece of music that has been
published (this is a very loose term which includes putting it on a CD and
handing it to a friend) is automatically copyrighted. You may register this
copyright with the US Copyright Office but this is not required. If you do wish
to register the copyright all you need is a cassette tape and a copy of the
lyrics (if any).

Jan