Re: [linux-audio-user] FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

From: Emiliano Grilli <emillo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 03:22:54 EET

Il giorno mar, 20/12/2005 alle 14.15 -0500, Rob ha scritto:
> On Tue December 20 2005 06:14, Emiliano Grilli wrote:
> > Yes, it's a GUI app, but if you want something to print on an
> > actual printer you must export the score to something like abc
> > or lilypond, which are command line apps. BTW, I think having
> > a command line interface it's a *plus* for a program, not a
> > minus.
>
> I think not being able to just go "File/Print" and have their
> score come out of a printer is a minus for most actual composers
> and musicians. But yes, if you limit it to those of us who
> think a "compiler" is a program and not a guy in charge of
> producing best-of CD's, the command-line thing is okay.

In fact I was wrong: I just tried going to "File/print" and it worked
out of the box (noteedit 2.8.0 on a demudi 1.3.0). I think it uses
abcm2ps as in the dialog window you have some control on abc options
like page size, and so on...

I just meant that I like this interoperablity between different
programs, and that in my vision the *nix power really comes from having
small, specialized tools that can be combined togheter to do exactly the
thing you need. In my work I use on a daily basis programs such as sox,
ecasound, normalize, oggenc, lame, convert, sed, etc.. for doing things
that with a GUI app would take eons to accomplish, if they can be done
at all (suppose the coder didn't provide you that "right" checkbox).

I disagree with you that command line tools are a "1980's-era thing", I
think instead they are what makes linux better than GUI driven systems,
or at least I like very much having the choice. Why chasing commercial
apps on their terrain, when we already are stronger and more flexible in
some respects?

Suppose you have one hundered scores and you want to change paper size
from letter to A4, or change the title font on every file. I'm not a
programmer, but with a sed line I can do it in a minute. I don't think
that with a GUI app you can do it faster...

IMHO there are tasks that are best expressed by "gestures" (mouse clicks
and acting with icons), and other that are best expressed by
"words" (command line interface, scripting), and I think both approaches
are valuable. Having both well cooperating is a good thing for me. I
don't understand why denigrate one over another.

> Rob

Best regards,

PS: sorry if my english is tortuous, I'm still learning ;)

--
Emiliano Grilli
Linux user #209089