[linux-audio-user] Professional Sound Card Choices

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 05:53:38 EET

I apologize to those on the ardour list that recieved this twice, I am
working on separating out Ardour-user and Audio-user in my addy book,
but so far apparently haven't done a good enough job.

Ok so I am looking to upgrade my current workstation's sound card to
help with a few problems I have been having with Ardour, along with a
few other tweaks.

Most of what I use in Linux for audio is Ardour and Rezound(Obviously
along with Jack) and assorted LADSPA plugs.

I am curious, is RME still about the best soundcard availiable on Linux
with decent support? Any RME cards I should stay away from other than
the fireface? I am currently looking at running a HDSP 96/52 or similar
card, but if there are other options out there of similar or better
quality I would like to know.

Also as the network based jack protocols are still under development and
arent very useful for me, I will be looking at running an ADAT line to a
mac box to run VST plugins in, anyone see a problem with this? Yes I
know fst and the like exists, but at the moment I am not sure that will
fulfill what I need, as the plugins I have in mind will probably require
hardware dongles, which I dont believe are supported yet.

      Seablade