Re: [linux-audio-user] FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

From: I. I. Ooisen <ii001001@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 07:06:05 EET

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 21:29, Rob wrote:
> On Mon December 19 2005 22:43, I. I. Ooisen wrote:
> > i hate combos. and perhaps all gnu/linuxists should. :)
>
> I have been using Linux since 1994. Sometimes, I like "combos"
> very much. Not in the case of, for example, email/todo
> list/calendar, nor web browser/email/news reader/IRC client, but
> I'm pretty happy, for example, that k3b will burn audio, data
> and video CD's and DVD's, and I'm very happy that Rosegarden
> will deal with MIDI, digital audio and scoring.

here you're talking about "integrators", which i also very much
appreciate. an integrator can be very modular (unlike a "combo"), that
is, it can bring together many (optional) tools, without packing them
together, like in microsoft marketing strategies. a good plugins system
may also be cool.

a "combo" is a symbol for the electronics era, i.e. the times you had to
spend thousands of dollars for an "organ" because it included
*mandatory* "cool features" (some of which you would never use), that
you simply can't remove from it, because they are... built in. (yeah,
right, you have the freedom to choose not to buy it!)

think microsoft: you have to pay more money for windows xp not because
it's worth the money as an os, but because they included the media
player (which has free alternatives), a browser (ie6, which also has
free alternatives), and other non-(os-essential) stuff.

you thought mp and ie were free? no, they are not free: they make winxp
more "valuable" (money-wise only).

software tools should allow for modularity, customization. that's why i
love integrators (of specialized tools) and i hate combos.

> I'm glad you like NoteEdit and have decided to promote it. But
> not every composer works the way Brahms and Beethoven did
> anymore, especially those composing rock or electronic music.

:)