Re: [linux-audio-user] FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 13:08:34 EET

On Wed December 21 2005 00:15, I. I. Ooisen wrote:
> > I'm a composer too, but the only time I generate a score is
> > when someone wants to play my stuff in real life. There's
> > no need for 18th century notation if you're doing it all
> > yourself in the digital realm.
>
> is there any more modern musical notation system which you
> think preferable? (i am seriously interested)

If you mean "notation in which to print out my own music".... I
don't need to. I can burn a CD.

If you mean "notation in which to manipulate notes within the
app".... as I said in another post, I think I'd like a
high-level, non-LISP-like programming language I could use to
code my songs. Lacking that, the commonly used piano roll
notation is certainly the most intuitive. (Yes, I did have
piano lessons as a kid and yes, I did learn how to read music.
Piano roll notation still makes more sense to me, especially
when I start transposing.)

If I were a band or orchestra leader, it'd be different... but
I'm not. I'm one guy with a bunch of instruments and a computer
that will record me playing all of them by ear.

Rob