Re: [linux-audio-user] Musix GNU+Linux 0.30-final, released / download mirrors

From: <chgans@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 15:28:24 EET

Selon Michael Bohle <core@email-addr-hidden>:

> Hi Marcos,
>
> Yesterday I've made an installation of Musix. So I realized that Musix
> is nothing else than a drilled out, userfriendly DeMuDi.
> I tried Kernel 2.6.13-1-multimedia and later I updated to Kernel
> 2.6.14-1-multimedia - but I'am disappointed about the performance of the
> audio realtime. In the comparison to the actuall RT hack for the SuSE
> Kernel (http://www.opensuse.org/index.php/RT_Kernel_Instructions) I have
> lots of more xruns on the same machine and a worse performance.
Hi Michael,

Did you mean you have more xruns with DeMudi than with Musix or the inverse?
I'm intersting to know.

For now i am using DeMudi on an "old" Athlon 750 with 768MB RAM, and run into
performance issue. I know that this machine is certainly not enough strong to
run for example ardour+jamin or hydrogen+rosegarden+zynaddsubfx, but low
latency + preemtion should give me responsivness and should avoid xruns.
I plan to install an audio distro on a PIV-HT 2.8GHz laptop with 1GB RAM, so
this one should be enough strong, but of course i'm looking for the best RT
behaviour, and then i could get a try with Musix.

Another "reproach" i have for (stable) DeMudi is that there are some interaction
problem when adding (stable) Debian repository. My Debian sound menu (well
structured by DeMudi) was overwritten when installing debian components. Now i
have no sub-menu in Debian->sound, and since it is an audio distro, i have a
very very long and unsorted list of application in this menu instead of a
dozen of categorized submenu... :(
I use gnome as desktop, and sometimes for unknow reason, i lost the content of
each gnome submenu, except the debian one, they are all empty ! :(

> Is the DeMuDi Multimedia kernel so slow as it seemed?

Did you try to run some performance measure tools?
It should be interesting to get some results for different distro/machine.

Christian