Re: [linux-audio-user] CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound issues

From: R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 19:29:12 EET

> > I believe the primary reasons more musicians don't
> use Linux have to do
> > with at least these conditions:
> >
> > 1. The perpetuation of outmoded perceptions re:
> usability and interfaces.
> > 2. The lack of wide hardware manufacturer
> support.
> > 3. The reticence of the major music journals to
> cover the growing
> > Linux audio scene.
> > 4. The lack of serious attention given Linux
> audio from within the
> > larger Linux community itself.
> > 5. No-one has released a hit created with Linux
> audio tools.

Linux Audio is a new player and you don't emerge from
the womb to begin dragging down full blown caribou.
The proliferation of Linux Audio will excelerate when
our tools can make someone money. Then increased
hardware support and media attention will follow. The
announcements haven't been made but it has begun. We
will surf the consumer impulse soon enough. I foresee
penguins dancing in unisyn at the half time of Super
Bowl XXV and riding surf boards on those tsunami waves
off Hawaii.

> While I agree with points 1-4, I think there needs
> to be a bit of
> clarification added to point #5.

Mirror Image and Steep Rock demonstrate legitimacy for
Linux audio but give this crowd an inch and they want
a mile--number one hit on the pop charts. :) It's my
fantasy to produce a grammy winner because I need to
release my pre,postmortem grammy acceptance speech.
You know how it is when you have your legs crossed and
are jumping up and down 'cause ya gotta pee.

> Hundreds (probably more like thousands) of
> commercial releases involve
> GNU/Linux audio tools. I know this because I have
> contributed dozens myself
> (national television and radio spots, theatrical
> scores, commercial CD
> releases etc.).

I've been resting on my laurels for the last year but
even at that things are picking up. I'll do three
substantial independent films this winter. And there's
some players involved in this years projects.

And in the back of my studio is an old storage room
that's been converted into "The Dungeon". It is
occupied by an electrical engineer, a software
engineer/business man and my dumb ass. We are
preparing to submit our second order PC boards. We are
not alone. And we probably are the smallest active
concern that I'm aware of.

ron

  But how would anyone know which