Re: [linux-audio-user] CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound issues, was FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT

From: S. Massy <smassy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 21:29:42 EET

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:09:01AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:

> However, the "command-line is better" argument is not one that gets made
> so often anymore when it comes to Linux sound and music applications.
> With the exceptions of the ALSA utilities, ecasound, and SoX, I'm not
> sure what CLI soundapps are in common use. Every notable Linux soundapp
> is a full-bore GUI-laden application these days. GUI front-ends are
> available even for ecasound and SoX.
As someone who only uses the console, I can tell you that CLI-based
music applications are pretty scarce: if it weren't for ecasound, the
JACK utilities, and a few other tools, life would be pretty bleak
indeed. For example, I recently wanted to have a poke at synths: there
is a staggering number of synths available for Linux (modular synths,
emulators, you name it), but finding one that doesn't require a GUI is
quite a challenge. I'm not saying whether this is good or bad, just that
I don't think very many people still use the console for music-making,
except a few old-timers and people unable or unwilling to use the GUI.

As far as the CLI vs. GUI argument goes, I see it that way:
- GUI is like geting what you paid for instantaneously.
- The CLI is like investing so you can buy something you might not
  otherwise be able to afford.

S.M.

--
smassy@email-addr-hidden