Re: [linux-audio-user] CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound issues, was FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 04:34:26 EET

On Wed, 2005-21-12 at 10:09 -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> I. I. Ooisen wrote:
>
> >>However, I recognize that I am not like most musicians. Since no
> >>one else here is either, I felt someone needed to stick up for
> >>them. So many people seem to wonder why more musicians aren't
> >>using Linux.... the "use the command line, it's better"
> >>mentality is one of them. Most musicians and many recording
> >>engineers are going to think something's gone horribly wrong if
> >>they see a command line.
> >>

> >right. "command line", the way we see it now, is a primitive way to put
> >a computer to work.

Anyone who says "command line is better" is an idiot, just like anyone
who says "GUI is better" is an idiot.

Some things a command line is capable of doing isn't even feasibly
possible in a GUI (and I personally do many, many such things a day, as
I'm sure many others 'round here do).

Some things that's downright painful and obtuse in a command line can be
intuitive, quick, and simple in a GUI.

Isn't this painfully obvious?

-DR-