Re: [linux-audio-user] CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound issues

From: I. I. Ooisen <ii001001@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 05:41:18 EET

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 20:41, Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> Please, don't get me wrong. But I actually fear the day in which
> gnu/Linux will have a wider success. Because I fear that this will

heh, you spelled "linux" with capital "l" and "gnu" with lowercase...

> happen only if gnu/Linux will abandon (or at least hide) its real
> strenghts and its real philosophy. Or worse it could finally become
> just another commercial o.s.

read my lips: this can never happen.

copyleft (gpl) fights absolutely the same legal game as the copyright.
furthermore, governments will prefer freed software more and more.
(also, there's a tendency for companies to depend more and more on
services rather than on software manufacturing.)

anyway, it's no problem if there will be some commercial distros and
some freed ones. this is already happening and there are only benefits.
nobody cares whether they are all "pure" or not. many of them will
*always* be "pure" anyway! and commercial ones will always be legally
forced (and soon economically motivated) to observe a clear set of
rules.

there's no reason to fear "the day in which gnu/linux will have a wider
success"! it's just the opposite: let's all hope gnu/linux will reach
"world domination" :)

> For me gnu/Linux is the best operating system because it is free (as
> in free speech). The fact that open source software most of the times
> is better, in terms of power and versatility, than its commercial
> counterpart is a direct consequence of the whole open source
> philosophy and the people, the community behind it.
>
> I think that we don't have to demonstrate anything to anybody.

very much agreed.

> We should just thank god that there are still some people who value

heh... you began your sentence with capital "w"... (just teasing) :P

> freedom and the right of knowledge. If we're into OSS just because we
> think it's better, we've missed the point about why it is better.

then remember, it's "GNU" (which stands for the philosophy) that should
be written in caps, not (only) "linux", which was written "just for
fun" :P

(just teasing, really!) :)