Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: extract and mix

From: Michael T D Nelson <m_nels@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 11:04:29 EET

LinuxMedia wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the concept of a "zero crossing". Did you want to
> explain further?

I'm jumping right in on this thread - I haven't read what's gone before
in any detail, but here I go...

Have you ever zoomed in on the image of your audio wave file? You see a
graphical representation of the sound wave.

Zoom right in. You see each point where the wave crosses over the zero
line in the middle? That's a "zero crossing".

Basically, if you want to cut a piece of audio (without any sort of
click where it has been cut), it helps to cut the wave file exactly
where the audio line crosses the horizontal zero line.

This is because the wave will usually have a nice smooth transition to
the silence following it.

The alternative is to apply a fast fade-out to the audio, instead of
just cutting it.

If this wasn't clear enough, then I apologise. I'm rushing, because I
have a very busy few days ahead... Please ask.

Regards
Michael