Re: [linux-audio-user] use NOTEEDIT, the scorewriter! :P ---- CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound issues

From: I. I. Ooisen <ii001001@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 23 2005 - 13:34:47 EET

On Friday 23 December 2005 01:21, Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-22-12 at 05:41 +0200, I. I. Ooisen wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 December 2005 20:41, Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> > > Please, don't get me wrong. But I actually fear the day in which
> > > gnu/Linux will have a wider success. Because I fear that this
> > > will
> >
> > heh, you spelled "linux" with capital "l" and "gnu" with
> > lowercase...
> >
> > > happen only if gnu/Linux will abandon (or at least hide) its real
> > > strenghts and its real philosophy. Or worse it could finally
> > > become just another commercial o.s.
> >
> > read my lips: this can never happen.
>
> read my lips: proprietary kernel drivers.

read my lips: use NOTEEDIT :))

well, actually any piece of hardware in a computer is sorta
"closed-source". and we use gnu/linux on that computer. this doesn't
make anyone feel their gnu/linux is any less free. just as having
open-source drivers doesn't make their gnu/linux any freer.

i would explain why, but i am busy atm. guess i may soon find and send
you a link, as you seem quite concerned about this stuff.

> Go buy a recent video card and see how much this can "never" happen.
> How free is a system that can't DISPLAY VIDEO without proprietary
> software? Not very free at all. (Yes, yes, it's only 3D _for now_,
> but you get the point).
>
> Ditto for wireless adapters, though not quite as bad a situation. Is
> a system that can't even get on a network a useful one? Not in this
> century.

there's always a way to "do it our way", if we do care. as long as we
exist, there's need. and as long as there's need, there's supply. i
don't care about the others as long as we have our own options. yes,
there are many of "them". but then again, there are hundreds of
millions of communists in china or windows users in the civilized world
-- who cares about them all? nobody will ever force me buy an
unsupported card.

> The GPL protects a certain block of code from being made proprietary,
> but it does NOT protect the ability for us to create a truly free
> operating system, whatsoever.
>
> I think "just another commercial OS" would be a good description of a
> Linux system so bogged down with horrible proprietary crap (ie the
> same shining standard of quality that windows enjoys.. ahem) that
> it's unusable without it. OSX is composed of a lot of free software,
> but it's not even close to a "free software operating system".
>
> Translation: The war isn't over, and we aren't safe. :)

why, absolutely agreed. in fact, my optimistic tone ("this will never
happen") was not meant -- i thought i'd made that evident! -- to
express an indolent and self-deceiving sense of safety. quite the
contrary, it was expressing determination. just that type of
determination our war needs.