Re: [linux-audio-user] Call for WhySynth presets

From: Sean Bolton <musound@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 25 2005 - 22:41:39 EET

Hi Garett,

On Dec 25, 2005, at 12:08 AM, Garett Shulman wrote:
> I don't know if this patch belongs in a default patch set. However, I
> thought you might be interested in checking out my use of whysynth. I
> use the following patch along with the following diff to dssp_synth.c
> to sort of emulate my juno 106. A Doepfer Pocket Fader provides the 16
> sliders. This seems to work very well.

Hey, that's cool. I've added the patch (with the oscillator
sends turned up) to the 'development patches' section,
since it's a good starting point for new patches.

> The only think that I'm not sure if is possible or how to accomplish
> is to have a single CC controle multiple synthesis parameters. A
> single case of this can be accomplished with the ModMix.

Right, presently you can only do this with the ModMix, the
mod wheel, and pressure/aftertouch.

> < feature request ;) > More ModMixes would be great! </feature
> request ;) >

Yes, I've wanted that too. I want to keep this next release
backward-compatible with the earlier release, which means
not changing the number of ports, unfortunately.
Actually, what I'd like to do for the '2.x' version is to change
the modulation to be like the Oberheim Matrix synths,
where you have a number of mod source-to-destination
routings, so one mod source can modulate several
destinations, and a destination can be modulated by
several sources. With good MIDI CC mapping capability,
of course!

> Anyway... Thanks for Whysynth. Very cool.
> -Garett

You're welcome. Thanks for the patch and the feedback,

-Sean