Re: [linux-audio-user] Call for WhySynth presets

From: Sean Bolton <musound@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 19:36:53 EET

Hi Dave,

On Dec 28, 2005, at 4:26 AM, Dave Phillips wrote:
> A few questions re: your excellent WhySynth :
>
> WS seems weird wrt MIDI program change. Am I missing something ?
> Sending a change from a sequencer or keyboard doesn't match the
> default list of voices. PC 0 selects a sound all right, but it's not
> the Slow Strings at position 0 in the default patch list. What is MIDI
> PC actually selecting ?
>
> Edits made to a patch don't take effect in realtime, or am I
> missing something again ?

Yeah, something's weird -- on my systems, WhySynth responds
as one would expect to program changes coming from external
sources, and patch edits take effect in real time for everything
except the envelopes (where they take effect on the next note
played.)

When you send a PC from an external source, does the high-
lighted patch in the GUI patch list change? Are you using bank
select (which might mean program 128 or 256 of 384 is being
selected instead)?

If you run jack-dssi-host with the '-v' debug switch, do you see
messages like this:

     jack-dssi-host: OSC: whysynth/WhySynth/chan00 port 7 = 0.133895

appearing in real time as you edit a patch, or are they delayed?

On Dec 28, 2005, at 8:33 AM, Dave Phillips wrote:
>>> 'jack-dssi-host -2 whysynth.so' should launch two synths with two
>>> separate GUIs, 'jack-dssi-host -3 whysynth.so' should launch three
>>> synths etc.
>>
> Okay, that works. Three instances are launched, the first has Channel
> 0 in its window titlebar, the next has Channel 1, the last has Channel
> 2. However, only Channel 0 is accessable from my sequencer. What's
> going on ? The channels referred to are MIDI channels, yes ? How can I
> reach the other instances ?

What you've done here is start one instance of jack-dssi-host
hosting three instances of the WhySynth plugin. jack-dssi-host
will have one ALSA MIDI port as input, and will split the incoming
MIDI by channel to send to each of the three plugin instances.
So if you can get sound on channel 0, you should be able to get
sound on channels 1 and 2 via the same MIDI connection by just
changing the MIDI channel number. Note that jack-dssi-host will
have created 6 JACK ports for the audio output -- a left and right
out for each plugin instance -- so make sure these are connected
appropriately or you won't hear the output.

If you need three separate ALSA MIDI ports, you can run
'jack-dssi-host whysynth.so' three times, although the ALSA and
MIDI port names get confusing similar when you do so.

HTH. Looking forward to the demo!

-Sean