Re: [linux-audio-user] hardware

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 31 2005 - 09:45:26 EET

On 31 December 2005 at 2:04, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:

> I am thinking of getting an AMD X2 system. I want to avoid
> Nvidia chipsets as their hardware is too closed and the Via
> stuff seems cheap which leaves me with ATI (I realize the
> latest stuff does not have open drivers, but at least there's a
> chance they'll release one eventually)

I opted for an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye motherboard: Athlon 64 or 64FX,
1GHz FSB, SATA, RAID, AGP8X, 1x IEEE1394, Gb LAN, 4x USB2, North
bridge VIA K8T800 Pro, South bridge VIA VT8237, AC97 Codec 6ch
audio. I put an Athlon 64-X2 4200+ (2.2GHz) and 2/ea Kingston
512MB DDR400 (PC3200) memory sticks in the board. My ATI Radeon
9250 AGP Video has been a bit of a source of trouble. If I stay
away from all of the ATI specific (Xorg or ATI proprietary)
drivers, then things seem to be OK. This is with Xorg 6.9, which
I guess has been problematic in this area and with Nvidia cards
as well.

> Does anyone have any experience with the ASUS A8R-MVP?
> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA22189

Looks like a pretty good board, but I don't have any experience at
all with one.

Please post your success story for those that follow you into 64-X2
territory.

Cheers....

--
Kevin