Re: [linux-audio-user] Problem possibly RT related?

From: Noah Roberts <roberts.noah@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 02 2006 - 04:03:20 EET

On 1/1/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 17:06 -0800, Noah Roberts wrote:
> > the new ones had a different "Conexant" chipset that didn't have any
> > viable Linux drivers - all alpha mode...
>
> It's also difficult to say what constitutes a "viable driver". Most
> people consider that a driver is viable if it supports the basic
> functions of the device, like playing audio, sending/receiving packets
> or displaying images on the screen. Then you have a shrill minority who
> consider a driver non-viable, broken or useless if it doesn't support
> EVERY single little feature of the hardware or do everything the Windows
> driver does.
>
> I guess my point is YMMV as always ;-)

My definition of non-viable is crashes a lot, doesn't work at all (as
in this case), or is missing key features, and in the case above it
was two weeks of waiting before I could even get video w/o audio from
that card. I did some modifications myself to make it even get video
from the composite input. It probably works now...I put the thing up
and its been gathering dust for about a year or more.