Re: [linux-audio-user] anybody using seq24 for live performances?

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 02 2006 - 22:52:36 EET

charles thorley wrote:

>hey all. i'm considering picking up a cheap (new)
>laptop and running seq24 and a sampler on it, and
>slaving some outboard modules, for a live p.a.
>solution (as in dance/electronic/techno live
>production). it looks cool enough from the homepage,
>but i've found very little reference to it elsewhere
>on the net, and nothing that really addresses it's
>strengths and weaknesses in a live setting based on
>real-world experience. it looks like the guy that
>wrote it uses it for this, but he doesn't talk about
>it much on the site. alternatively, i might pick up
>an akai mpc1000 for my live sequencer - i definitely
>like gear, although i'm not bent on it. if i thought
>that seq24 could more or less do what it does, that's
>the route that i'd go down, methinks. i've got an rme
>hammerfall multiface, so i'm not concerned about
>getting sound out of it (although, recommendations for
>a laptop that would work with the hammerfall cardbus
>would also be most welcome).

I haven't worked with it in a live setting, but I'll testify to its
utility and stability. You might spend an hour or two getting familiar
with its commands and interface, but it's a very straightforward program.

Btw, it's a MIDI-only app, so you'll want to be able to connect it to
outboard gear or softsynths. Or both... :)

Best,

dp