Re: [linux-audio-user] Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 17:50:50 EET

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 17:26, Lee Revell was like:

> > DB> Still cannot get this to play. Kernel boots up fine loading of
> > DB> any alsa fails with a bunch of undefined symbols. I am using
> > DB> neither udev nor devfs (no longer in kernel)--based on an old
> > DB> knoppix hdinstall, upgraded to Debian Sid.
> >
> > DB> Kernels through 2.6.11 worked fine. 2.6.12 --mpu401 fails,
> > DB> 2.6.14 alsa audio fails. Fun.
> >
> > That's very similar to my system, and I was pleasantly surprised that
> > installing 2.6.14 "just worked". I had to run alsaconf, and then I
> > had audio with all the exact same problems I'd had with 2.6.12. I
> > haven't had hardware MIDI working since 2.4 or maybe even 2.2, and I
> > haven't tested recording recently, but playing works fine.
> >
> > If you need to compare your setup to mine, feel free to ask.
>
> What soundcard driver are you using? What exactly do you mean by
> "hardware midi doesn't work".
>
> Please, be specific with these bug reports or they are useless.

I have always found it necessary to add
snd-seq-midi
to /etc/modules to get MIDI to work on my DeMuDi systems.

I find
http://alsa.opensrc.org/aadebug
to be a useful source of diagnostic info (you can always snip the modprobe
conf section). I suspect most posters to this list aren't intending to make
formal bug reports, however, if we make a habit of including this
information in a familiar format it makes it easier for everyone to zero in
on each particular case and may provide useful incidental information.

--
cheers,
tim hall