[linux-audio-user] rlimit problem on opensuse 10.0: pam_limits: unknown limit item 'rtprio'

From: Joern Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 02:01:51 EET

hi everyone!

after some time of job-induced absence from audio work, i have tried to
bring my audio workstation up to date again.

the problem is that i can't get realtime privileges.

arch is x86_64, distro is opensuse 10.0, i'm using the distro kernel,
which is a 2.6.13 with additional patches.

my /etc/security/limits.conf:

@realtime - memlock 128000
@realtime - nice 10
@realtime - rtprio 70

the account i use is member of @realtime.

on login, i get

Jan 6 00:01:38 kleineronkel pam_limits[13812]: unknown limit item 'nice'
Jan 6 00:01:38 kleineronkel pam_limits[13812]: unknown limit item 'rtprio'

and jack tells me it can't get rt scheduling. memlock works, though.

i browsed the kernel source, and it looks like the rlimit patch is there.

pam is recent:

pam-0.80-6
pam_ldap-178-3
pam-modules-10.0-11.2

the bash is not yet rlimits-aware (ulimit does not know about nice and
rtprio), but that should not be a problem, right?

is there a /proc or /sys file associated with the rlimits patch, so that
i can make sure my running kernel has it? or any other command-line
tools that might help to find the problem?

any hints appreciated.

best, jörn

ps: i'm aware of the jacklab effort, but i don't want to use
realtime-lsm, and since this is a 64bit box, their packages don't buy me
much.

--
jörn nettingsmeier
home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/