Re: Re: [linux-audio-user] Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

From: <cmetzler@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 06:22:33 EET

Tim Howard wrote:
>cmetzler wrote:
>>> I'm having exactly the same problem with my emu10k1 (SBLive 5.1)
>>> sound card. All the MIDI programs I try seem to _think_ they're
>>> working... but still no sound! (Other audio works fine, though.) I
>>> have used the SuSE and Fedora distros, but same thing.
>>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> Just to verify: you loaded a valid soundfont into the wavetable synth,
>> and you're sure you're sending the MIDI command sequence to the wavetable
>> synth?
>

> I have loaded the same soundfont that I use under Windoze, and all the
> instruments show up in Rosegarden... But still no sound.

Hrm. You've tried other programs to send the MIDI sequence to the
synth (e.g. aplaymidi), right? (just to make sure that it's not
an issue with Rosegarden) Alternately, you've successfully played
the MIDI sequence through a softsynth like timidity, right? (to
point the finger directly at getting the synth working) I think
I remember reading that you'd done so. Right?

If so, I'm at a bit of a loss. I never had any problem getting
this stuff to work. Once upon a time, about a year and a half ago,
I wrote up a brief HOWTO-ish document for MIDI on Linux, but it's
currently on a disk attached to a machine that won't boot. The
only other thing I can think of right now: I believe I remember
reading that you'd played around with all the controls in
alsamixer that seemed relevant; you may want to revisit that
again. I haven't seen how the emu10k1 looks in recent versions of
alsa/alsamixer, but the volume control for the output of the
wavetable synth used to have the singularly unhelpful title of
"Music" in alsamixer. You might play around there. Or perhaps
steal the mixer settings from someone who's got it working, and
see if that helps.

> It's
> probably something ridiculously simple, since I'm new to this...

S'ok. You're right that it usually is something simple, but it
never seems that way until *after* the problem is solved, when
it's easy to call it that!

-c