Re: [linux-audio-user] keeping alsa stable

From: Piotr Pruszczak <p.pruszczak@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 11:37:19 EET

> Next: There's plenty of reason to run unstable (at least everyone I know
> that runs debian on their desktop thinks so). I normally don't have any
> problems with my (stable) unstable box.

I had NOT problems, too - unstable usually works fine

> Against stable: Stable is nice, and I pray release rates are speeded up
> after the fuzz about stable. But 3 years is simply too long on my
> desktop. I tried backporting, never liked it.

this was always problem - decide between backporting or upgrade.. :/

> Against testing: Testing is (in a bad way) in between stable and
> testing. It seems there's no real consensus at to when packages arrive
> in testing, so some part of the system is almost as old as stable and
> others are as unstable as unstable.

Testing is more unstable the unstable itself .. it is because of
"testing" means "during the freeze process" && unstable means "unsecure
but working" - however who of us wants "the safest audio station on
world" ;)

my experience from Debian is, that it works out-of-the-box, however ....
there are many little troubles and if you want to go to realtime kernel
&& audio apps, you can reach big number of little troubles very soon ... :/

that is the reason why I am now tuning Gentoo.... seems to be really
faster, more stable with "strange work parameters" like realtime
processing... and the only problem is - if somebody wants it - to have
just fast processor / emerge process can run 1-2 days

of course - no offence for Debian, I still love it for philosophy &&
really user-friendly, clear and smart system.

--
Piotr