Re: [linux-audio-user] Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 23:26:42 EET

On Friday 06 January 2006 19:54, Lee Revell wrote:

> > > OK, I did a "cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1" and discovered that
> > > the soundfont wasn't actually loading! I hadn't installed the package
> > > containing sfxload, so my call to it was failing, and I didn't realize
> > > it... Bingo, now it works!

> > > <g> Yep, it was ridiculously simple... Thanks for the help!
> >
> > Hi Tim. Could you verify something? I only use my Audigy2 soundcard, and
> > have the onboard card disabled with the jumpers on the MOBO. Do you still
> > have your onboard card enabled? If so, and you're now able to play midi
> > files, the fact that Laura still has her onboard card enabled, has
> > nothing to do with her inability to play midi files.
> >
> > Glad you got yours working. Nigel.
>
> Don't use sfxload use asfxload.
>
> Lee

Hi Lee. I'm not trying to wind you up. FC1.2.and 3 only have binaries for
sfxload after installing awesfx in /bin. I have iso's for FC4 but am looking
for harddrive space for it, but don't expect to see any difference. Debian
Sarge does have binaries for asfxload, and sfxload, so no problem there.
Slackware 10.0 (and I know thats a bit ancient) has both asfxload, and
sfxload, but asfxload refuses to load the soundfont, whereas sfxload does. I
havn't tried Gentoo, just got a bit fedup in booting up distro's. Tell me
please. Just what is the difference. If i load a sounfont using sfxload, then
play a midi file. Is this midi file taking a different path to my speakers,
than if I'd loaded the soundfont using asfxload. I'm almost 100% Alsa, apart
from one FC1 install thats still using OSS, but thats just for email,
webbrowsing, and a bit of Internet radio live audio streams. I'm all for
Alsa, and if awesfx on FC1,2 and 3 had the asfxload binary I would be using
it. This appears to be a distro thing, rather than an Alsa problem, but as
far as I'm concerned, as long as I can load soundfonts, whether it's by
sfxload, or asfxload, I don't care, as long as I can use midi files I will
continue to suggest using sfxload, because at least I know this works, and
whats the point of suggesting asfxload if the binary doesn't exist on your
distro. Nigel (trying not to cause any offence)