Re: [linux-audio-user] Complete Linux Audio System

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 10 2006 - 22:02:04 EET

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 23:27:49 +0000
studio64 <fsmith@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> HI
> Yes I would recommend Studio to go for your particular needs.
> You could try studio64 as well if your thinking 64bit.
> Cheers
> Bob
>

> Forest Bond wrote:
>
> >>I would like to buy (yes I did say buy) a reasonably complete Linux
> >>based music development/recording system. I really don't have either
> >>the time or skills to build this up myself, I barely have enough
> >>free time for my real interest - music.
> >>
> >>I've tried Rosegarden and like it very much so I guess this would be
> >>the heart of the system. It seems to be very popular. Beyond that, well
> >>does anyone know of a company or individual that puts these systems
> >>together?
> >>

> >http://www.ferventsoftware.co.uk
> >
> >A bootable/installable CD based on Knoppix, put together by the core
> >Rosegarden developers. It "just works" (for the most part)...Knoppix is
> >a hassle to make changes to (it's basically a partially broken version
> >of Debian), but Studio To Go! works like a charm.
> >
> >-Forest

I have thought about this, but it is the whole package I need. Hardware
& Software.

My current system has on-board graphics & sound and is OK for a bit of
document work or Internet use but quite inadequate for much else.
Rosegarden by itself takes up 50% processor bandwidth just running 11
tracks. Added to this I have an ailing CD ROM drive so there is little
point in trying to patch this up.

I really want to get a system that will serve me for a considerable
time. I'm OK about upgrades and addittions, but starting from scratch
is way beyond me.