Re: [linux-audio-user] recording jack input

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 17:02:40 EET

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 22:46, Kjetil S. Matheussen was like:
> Hmpfh, well, as I have been trying to point out some times already,
> timemachine is a program for capturing what you might have thought you
> could use, while programs such as ardour, jackrec or jack_capture are
> programs for capturing what are sure you want to use. timemachine is
> great, but it doesn't seem to me like anyone understand its purpose(!)...
> (timemachine captures x time of sound before pressing record, a great
> idea, but its for a little bit different purpose than this).
>
> So, to my point, which (of course) was mostly to promote my own program:
> Use jack_capture, http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/src . It does exactly what
> you want, and as simple as possible.

I heard you.

Up to this point I've been using timemachine for all audio captures - I can't
use Ardour for recording soft sound sources due to CPU/Memory restrictions.
Timemachine works fine for this, you just set the lead-in time to a
relatively small amount. I like the 'One Big Button' design of the GUI :)

My main reason for using timemachine is because it's on the menu and it works,
I confess. The one limitation is that mostly I want the captures to be easily
time-synched i.e start at 00:00:0000 and end at nn:nn:nnnn as audio dumps
from Ardour and Hydrogen do by default. I've kind of assume that timemachine
wasn't really built for this, so haven't bothered to look too hard.

Would this be easy to set up using jack_capture?

I want a big red button which does precisely this, I can make my own gui if
need be, but Ideally I'd like to see a record button on qjackctl.

--
cheers,
tim hall