Re: [linux-audio-user] Music made with Linux

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 18:45:53 EET

Jan Depner wrote:

>On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 10:27 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>

>>On Sunday 15 January 2006 09:31, Jan Depner wrote:
>>

>>>Mark, et al,
>>>
>>> Many thanks for all the feedback (mostly positive). To paraphrase
>>>a familiar quote - with many ears all mixes are easy ;-) I forgot to
>>>mention that I used LADSPA effects (not counting the electric guitar
>>>which is through a V-AMP Pro) other than running the final master mix
>>>through a BBE sonic maximizer. I have taken most everyone's advice
>>>and lifted the vocals (dropped some processing too). Also, a tip of
>>>the hat to Dave Phillips for introducing me to the Versatile Plate
>>>Reverb.
>>>
>>> The new version is in the same place -
>>>
>>>http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/katrina.mp3

Mmmm I do love my BBE sonic maximizer!! :)I got lucky and picked up a
almost new 482 for $75 from Craigslist in San Francisco! These things
are just awesome!

> I also used to make guitars but I turned my garage/shop into a
>studio. Take a look at
>
>http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/two_guitars.jpg
>
>The guitar on the left is the first one I made (about 1989). The one on
>the right is the one I used for the electric guitar on this recording.

A man after my own heart...I DO love telecasters in any form, shape or
style. Just built a custom tele of my own loaded with active EMG's as a
"nashville" tele with 3rd pickup in the center. Sounds awesome and is
very versitile.

I just listened to your work. Nice piece Jan. The mix and sound quality
of the instruments obviously had a good ear and knowledge of what to do
with that "ear". The musical content aside from mechanics of the mix /
linux audio, ardour, etc...reminds me of a couple of folk / light rock /
contemporary bands out of Australia tears ago...for thos who know...sort
of a cross between the Seekers and Redgum! It is a good original piece
but it feels as though the tempo is a liitle forced or rushed. Almost as
thought the bass line could have settled on or behind the beat where it
is leading the beat most of the way. Not to detract from a very nice
effort though. Some of our playing styles are very similar when I
listen to your guitar work.

Great work. Thanks for sharing. It's NOT easy to do! :)

Cheers,
R~