Re: [linux-audio-user] ogg for Windows made really easy

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 21:22:45 EET

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 19:08 +0000, guy wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have read several comments about ogg format & Windoze & want to
> highlight what seems a very well kept secret. There is a brilliant &
> tiny (592kb!) open source media player for Windoze called coolplayer.
> It runs straight from the binary
> without need for installation. If you want to stick to an open music
> format it is very easy for anyone to obtain. The bottom line is folks,
> anyone can easily & freely have a means of playing ogg files on a
> windoze box.
>
> The url is http://coolplayer.sourceforge.net/ & the zip file download is
> only 318kb.
>
> Hope you do not feel this is OT as it concerns sharing music in an open
> format.

Personally I think it's a losing battle to ask Windows users to use
anything but WMP. Like it or not MP3 is the standard. We need to make
MP3 "Just Work" on Linux.

MP3 is not a "closed format" it just has some patent issues (which may
not be issues at all).

I find it amusing that so many people who won't use MP3 due to its
"encumbrance" will happily run the proprietary Nvidia driver...

Lee