Re: [linux-audio-user] Music made with Linux

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 00:24:35 EET

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 21:33 +0000, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan, 2006 at 08:30AM -0600, Jan Depner spake thus:
> > I wrote this about a week after the storm. Later my daughter worked
> > on the melody and a bit on the lyrics. It was recorded in Ardour
> > (qjackctl/JACK), mastered with JAMin, and trimmed with Audacity. It's
> > in mp3 for my poor benighted Windoze using friends.
> >
> > It is dedicated to Sam who didn't die in the lower ninth ward but in
> > Pass Christian, MS with his two year old son.

    BTW, my wife corrected me on this. It was actually in Long Beach,
MS, 5 blocks due south of my house. Sam was one of my coworkers. I had
used the name Charlie first and that's why that verse was set in the
ninth ward. When I found out Sam had died I changed the name but (not
being a very good poet) I couldn't come up with a better line.

> > http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/katrina.mp3
>
> I didn't get chance to listen to this for quite a while, but I'm glad
> that I managed it.
>
> One of the best tracks I've heard on these lists - although I have to
> echo what a few people have said about the vocals. They just need
> bringing out a little more.

    Did you get the copy after I updated it yesterday? I brought them
up and dumped some of the effects.

> I also like the idea of songs that speak plainly about important
> events, if done properly.
>
> Badly done (which this isn't), they sound quite naive, cheesy and
> depthless.
>
> Done well (which I think this is), they feel like an alternative way
> to record history. Which, of course, songs have been doing for as
> long as there were singers. One of the more beautiful incarnations of
> oral history.

    This was written in the dark, sweating out a 3 week power outage
with just a floor fan, in south Mississippi, in the summer (which lasts
through November around here ;-)

> Thanks for sharing.
>
> Another criticism, and one I think is more important than quibling
> over small changes to vocals, is the copyright.
>
> You obviously want people to hear it, so why restrict copying? I
> can't mail this to a friend, make a copy for my walkman or do any of
> the many things that would get this listened to by a wider audience
> than the list.

    I'm terribly sorry. I meant for you to be able to copy it and/or
send it to your friends. All I did was place the copyright notice in
it. This doesn't really restrict you at all. It's the license that
does the restriction. Just like all GPL software is copyrighted.

> Why not use creative commons? http://creativecommons.org/
>
> If you want to keep it "pure", use the no-derivatives option. If
> you're worried about people not knowing it's yours, use the
> attribution option. If you don't want people to use your song
> commercially without seeking a separate license with you, use the
> non-commercial option. Or mixtures of these.

  I guess it is under the non-commercial license although every time I
look at the creative commons page I get confused ;-) I'm really easy
about commercial too (in most cases). If you (or anyone else) would
like to cover it just give me a yell and we'll talk ;-)

> But I'll just make sure that the main theme in this mail is the one I
> intended at the start: Wonderful track! Absolutely wonderful!

    Many thanks to you and all who commented.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice