Re: [linux-audio-user] Timidity tarball install now working

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 00:49:27 EET

On Monday 16 January 2006 21:46, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> >Hi Tim. Just out of academic interest I thought I'd send you "my" fix for
> >getting the tarball install of TiMidity 2.13.2 working.
> >
> >Just trash this if your not interested.
> >
> >On FC2, install with apt-get, timidity++-2.11.3-9. Next, with KDE's
> > superuser file manager or the CLI, copy /usr/share/timidity
> >to /home/user_name/timidity. Then copy /etc/timidity.cfg
> >to /home/user_name/timidity.conf. Next. Uninstall the timidity++-2.11.3-9
> >install, which only has run from CLI or ncurses interfaces. Next
> >run ./configure for the 2.13.2 version which you have unpacked and waiting
> >for action in your /home/user_name directory. Syntax follows.
> >./configure --enable-debug --enable-audio=alsa,jack
> >--enable-interface=ncurses,emacs,gtk --enable-spectogram (enter)
> >make (enter)
> >make install (su to root then enter)
> >
> >So far so good.
> >
> >Now, open Kde's superuser file manager again or use cp from the CLI, and
> >copy /home/user_name/timidity to /usr/local/share/timidity,
> >and /home/user_name/timidity.cfg to /etc/timidity.conf.
> >
> >Now this didn't work first go, as the /etc/timidity.conf was looking for
> > the GUS patches is /usr/share timidity, and I got errors showing that. So
> > a bit more work, and copying the /home/user_name/timidity to
> > /usr/share/timidity as well, fixed this. This was probably something to
> > do with the file in /etc being connected with the directory in /usr/share
> > from the original rpm install.
> >
> >Anyway it works. The gtk interface is the best. Ncurses isn't much better
> > than running it from the CLI, and I'm a bit clueless about the Emacs one.
> > There are probably easier ways to go about this, but as I'm having
> > problems posting to the timidity list, (my ISP) I've had to sort this out
> > for myself. I think there is something to be said for finding yourself
> > blocked from posting legitimately to lists. It makes you work harder to
> > solve your own problems.
> >
> >Icons. Icons. I havn't checked the bunch of icons you sent me, but
> > attached is the TiMidity one from version 2.13.2 in case you don't have
> > it.
> >
> >All the best. Nigel.
>
> Just curious, as a result of this build and with --enable-jack, alsa,
> does the timidity soundbank now make itself available as a jack audio
> and midi plugable device in say, Qjackctl? IE: so that say Muse can
> patch to timidity midi soundbank for those who dont have a soundfont
> card or easilly accesible GM 128 midi bank of sounds?
>
> thanks
> R~

Hi Russell. I'm not sure. I've just looked in Qjackctl with TiMidity's gtk
interface open, and there are no connections for TiMidity showing, either in
audio or midi. The gtk interface's main menu is a bit basic, and both "File"
and "Options" are directly connected with the playing of files. I added the
jack option to ./configure hoping it would set it up, and configure gave me a
"yes" with it, but it don't seem to be working. I have been trying since I
started with computers over 2 years ago, to get a gui up for TiMidity.
Admittadly not full time, and have just this evening got it working on FC2.
It may just be using Alsa's oss emulation layer, but ./configure did show
that both Alsa, and Jack got a yes. I know I have an Audigy2 with a
wavetable, so have no problem with midi, but this is a problem if you have no
wavetable or a card with a wavetable but no Alsa support for it.

I've also got a Debian Sarge install of TiMidity with gtk interface, but
having just booted that up, Qjackctl is showing a decided lack of interest in
TiMidity.

There is a similar problem with Wine, where jack is an option, but doesn't
appear to work. I suppose we have to be a bit patient, and in time these
things will be fixed. Sorry I can't help more. Nigel.