Re: [linux-audio-user] Music made with Linux

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 10:48:12 EET

On Mon, 16 Jan, 2006 at 04:24PM -0600, Jan Depner spake thus:
> On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 21:33 +0000, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Jan, 2006 at 08:30AM -0600, Jan Depner spake thus:
> > > I wrote this about a week after the storm. Later my daughter worked
> > > on the melody and a bit on the lyrics. It was recorded in Ardour
> > > (qjackctl/JACK), mastered with JAMin, and trimmed with Audacity. It's
> > > in mp3 for my poor benighted Windoze using friends.
> > >
> > > It is dedicated to Sam who didn't die in the lower ninth ward but in
> > > Pass Christian, MS with his two year old son.
> > >

> BTW, my wife corrected me on this. It was actually in Long Beach,
> MS, 5 blocks due south of my house. Sam was one of my coworkers. I had
> used the name Charlie first and that's why that verse was set in the
> ninth ward. When I found out Sam had died I changed the name but (not
> being a very good poet) I couldn't come up with a better line.
>

> > > http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/katrina.mp3
> >
> > I didn't get chance to listen to this for quite a while, but I'm glad
> > that I managed it.
> >
> > One of the best tracks I've heard on these lists - although I have to
> > echo what a few people have said about the vocals. They just need
> > bringing out a little more.
>
> Did you get the copy after I updated it yesterday? I brought them
> up and dumped some of the effects.

No, I had a version I saved when you first posted. I'll take a listen
when I'm at a real computer.

> > I also like the idea of songs that speak plainly about important
> > events, if done properly.
> >
> > Badly done (which this isn't), they sound quite naive, cheesy and
> > depthless.
> >
> > Done well (which I think this is), they feel like an alternative way
> > to record history. Which, of course, songs have been doing for as
> > long as there were singers. One of the more beautiful incarnations of
> > oral history.
> >

> This was written in the dark, sweating out a 3 week power outage
> with just a floor fan, in south Mississippi, in the summer (which lasts
> through November around here ;-)

Well, the output was beautiful, even if the circumstances it was
written in and about weren't.

I see people have been doing all the CC evangelism and link-posting
for me, so I can duck out of that now.

Thanks again for the music.

James

> > Thanks for sharing.
> >
> > Another criticism, and one I think is more important than quibling
> > over small changes to vocals, is the copyright.
> >
> > You obviously want people to hear it, so why restrict copying? I
> > can't mail this to a friend, make a copy for my walkman or do any of
> > the many things that would get this listened to by a wider audience
> > than the list.
> >

> I'm terribly sorry. I meant for you to be able to copy it and/or
> send it to your friends. All I did was place the copyright notice in
> it. This doesn't really restrict you at all. It's the license that
> does the restriction. Just like all GPL software is copyrighted.
>

> > Why not use creative commons? http://creativecommons.org/
> >
> > If you want to keep it "pure", use the no-derivatives option. If
> > you're worried about people not knowing it's yours, use the
> > attribution option. If you don't want people to use your song
> > commercially without seeking a separate license with you, use the
> > non-commercial option. Or mixtures of these.
> >

> I guess it is under the non-commercial license although every time I
> look at the creative commons page I get confused ;-) I'm really easy
> about commercial too (in most cases). If you (or anyone else) would
> like to cover it just give me a yell and we'll talk ;-)
>

> > But I'll just make sure that the main theme in this mail is the one I
> > intended at the start: Wonderful track! Absolutely wonderful!
> >

> Many thanks to you and all who commented.

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)