Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Homemade music

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 18:42:30 EET

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 07:50 -0700, Steve D wrote:

> The mixing technique I use can tend to exagerrate the bass. It's a
> method I have developed for myself that seems to work fairly well,
> although it is very simplistic in theory.

A piece of advice that I've seen repeated many times by experts is to
listen on many different types of audio gear while you're
mixing/mastering. Of course, most of the work must be done on your
highest-quality speakers and amps (ideally studio monitors), but you
must do several brief reality checks, a few times, on things such as
your car stereo, your TV, your laptop, your walkman's headphones, etc.

The song will sound, of course, worse on those devices, but it must not
exhibit unexpected huge problems - if it does, then go back to your
mixer software and fix it.
When it starts to sound more or less uniform everywhere, that's a sign
you're getting close and you must not apply major transformations at
this point anymore.

Listen to professionally mixed music, in the conditions described above,
to figure out what can be done.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/