Re: [linux-audio-user] portable digital audio recording

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 15:25:48 EET

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:11:52 -0800
reuben <reubenf@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I'm the proud owner of a pretty decently specced new shotgun mic; now I
> just need somewhere to store the recordings while out & about. What's
> the best option here? Minidisc? DAT? Flash?
>
> Here are the needs;
>
> a) The mic has XLR-m out, so I'm going to need one cable, no adapters,
> from the mic to whatever device.
> b) Ideally < $200.
> c) Digital transfer to my computer; I have firewire and USB as options.
> There should hopefully be a pretty painless setup getting this
> (drivers/whatever) configured in linux.
> d) Ability to store at least 2 hours of audio.

Hi, Reuben. I do a fair amount of field recording, and recently moved
from MiniDisk to an M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96 and it was a quantum leap
forward. The MD sounded OK even though it uses a lossy compression
algorithm, but it was invariably frustrating to then have to take hours
of recording and transfer it to my studio computer in real time, since Sony
purposefully disabled data transfers from the MD units. Bastards.

It's a pure joy to come back after a session with the MicroTrack and simply
connect it via USB, mount the device and copy files.

The inputs are very well done, with a 1/8" stereo mic in, and 2 balanced
1/4" inputs which can be used as either line or mic inputs. If they're set
as mic inputs, you have the further option of phantom power available. It
is +12-30 volts, so double check the requirements of the mic, some need up
to 60v. It sounds great, too - the A/D converters are of the same quality
as the rest of the M-Audio line.

It's a pricier solution than you seem to be looking for; the recorder can be
had for $400 on the street, but add to that some sort of CompactFlash media.
I got a Hitachi 4GB microdrive for mine, which was another hundred or so.

I am extremely happy with this recorder, and will never go back to MD again!
There's a review of this device with a lot more detail at:
  http://www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm

If you do a lot of field recording and are looking for a very portable
setup, you can't go wrong with this.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh@email-addr-hidden