Re: [linux-audio-user] rosegarden-4-1.0: can't seem to get any MIDI out ...

From: Sylvain Robitaille <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 25 2006 - 23:53:43 EET

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Michael T D Nelson wrote:

> I think the problem here is a confusion between the qjackctl GUI and
> JACK itself.
> Qjackctl is a GUI written to manage JACK; but, as I understand it,
> it also provides direct control of ALSA MIDI connections.

It's entirely possible that there is confusion such as you mention, on
my side of the keyboard. I used to work in live sound, and have worked
for the last 10 years as a computer analyst, but although I've dabbled
a little (mostly with Rosegarden-2.x, and sound editting applications
that were contemporary to that version), I'm still very new at using the
computer for audio/MIDI manipulation, let alone for recording of any kind.

I'm still very comfortable with the built-in sequencer on my ESQ1, for
example, though I do hope to be able to synchronize that with Rosegarden,
and perhaps something like Ardour, but it should give you an idea of
where I stand regarding this type of software: it's all very new to me,
and I do feel like a wide-eyed kid in a toy store. There's a learning
curve, and I'm not quite at the bottom, but I am quite near it and hoping
to get over the steepest portions quickly.

> I have had various difficulties getting Rosegarden to send MIDI to
> fluidsynth (managed with qsynth). Maybe I should try the same?

It hadn't occurred to me last night to try Rosegarden to fluidsynth (for
which I also use qsynth) again (I was really quite thrilled to finally
hear Rosegarden play a sequence imported from a Rosegarden-2.1 file
through my hardware synths and sampler, that the possibility of software
synths completely escaped me for that time). I certainly imagine it
will work the same: start Fluidsynth, then start Rosegarden, with no
JACK intervention, and I _expect_ that it will work (Rosegarden _was_
aware of FluidSynth running in my earlier attempts, but I also had JACK
running during those times, and was not seeing any MIDI from Rosegarden
to FluidSynth).

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl@email-addr-hidden
Major in Electroacoustic Studies                  Concordia University
Faculty of Fine Arts / Music Department       Montreal, Quebec, Canada