Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: 192kHz

From: Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 19:44:16 EET

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 01:20 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:

> Why would a consumer format EVER use 192KHz? Will people's hearing
> improve according to Moore's law?

Some people (sound/music professionals) do report an audible improvement
of the sound quality when using 192.
Even from an objective standpoint, wave forms of the high end of the
audio spectrum are slightly different when using 192. It is conceivable
that those differences can be perceived in some rare instances.

Personally, I couldn't hear any difference between 96 and 192. Maybe my
ears are not good enough (I'm 36, I can still hear the horizontal scan
of a TV set if I'm sitting nearby), maybe my equipment is too low end
(Delta 1010, Alesis M1 Active monitors, Mackie Big Knob controller,
Sennheiser HD600 phones).

I guess it will happen eventually and 192 will become the next standard.
With storage and processing power becoming cheaper and bigger, I guess
it will be more of a "because we can" type of thing.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/