Re: [linux-audio-user] Acid type program

From: Reuben Martin <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 28 2006 - 04:34:05 EET

On 1/27/06, Kjetil S. Matheussen <kjetil@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Ismael Valladolid Torres:
> > > for VSTs natively compiled on Linux
> >
> > Can this be done?
>
> Of course it can be done, VST is just a simple header file.
> But there is no reason to, as almost no programs supports VST,
> and almost none free non-gui/platform-independent-gui open source vst
> plugins exist.
>
> Additional, theres the political reasons. VST is closely tied
> to Steinberg, and its license is stupid (and possibly evil as well).
>
> So descent open-source people rather use ladspa or dssi instead.
>
> (Why hasn't anyone made a ladspa plugin with a GUI by the way? Its
> really simple just spawning of a gui process program.)

Because you have no way of knowing if the platform you are running it
on will have support for the toolkit needed by the GUI. It would be
nice to append the LADSPA spec to allow for a simple markup language
to describe the GUI, and then depend on the host to render that markup
language into a GUI. It would make it toolkit independent.

On another note (sic), if a project starts up with the intent of
duplicating the functionality similar to Acid for Linux, I propose
they name it "Base". ;)