Re: [linux-audio-user] Ubuntu as a music studio

From: Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 28 2006 - 06:16:09 EET

On 1/27/06, Jon Hoskins <jonhoskins@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I decided to give Ubuntu 6.04 "Dapper Flight 3" a run and noticed that
> #cat /boot/config-2.6.15-4-386 | grep PREEMPT gives CONFIG_PREEMPT=y and
> has been the same in all the "dapper" kernels I've tried, something that
> was not enabled in the stable "breezy" kernels. Does this mean the ubuntu
> guys are looking at releasing a stable kernel with PREEMPT enabled?

Hooray! This is good news indeed. I'm an Ubuntu convert, and have
been preaching the joy of Ubuntu to local computer users here in my
home town for a few months now.

I've contacted Ubuntu devs in the past regarding this very issue. I
was told that the issue was being considered, and to "keep an eye out"
for new developments in this area. From your report, I see that
progress has been made, and that is good news indeed.

> Anyway the second thing I found was using 'rtlimits' instead of
> "realtime-lsm". Making use of a small app I found at:
> http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~jwoithe/

I've played with this, and the thing I found a little, well,
irritating is that I had to set rt privlidges per app per user, as you
suggest. Some may find this granular level of control attractive, but
I like easy solutions.

> It looks like Ubuntu might have a stable release on the horizon suitable
> for serious audio work! You are more than welcome to check my blog as
> well for an up-to-date journal of my ubuntu "studio" experiments and
> installed software list: http://oktyabr.blogspot.com

I'll definately check it out. Thanks for the report!

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com