Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: 192kHz (now a bit OT)

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 28 2006 - 16:36:19 EET

On Saturday 28 January 2006 13:08, Michael T D Nelson was like:
> Hi Tim,
>
> I'm partly continuing this out of a desire to explore what I think. I
> don't necessarily disagree with you. What I *really* appreciate in music
> is an awesome combination of ability and expression.
>
> I realise that some wonderful recordings come from musicians at each end
> of the technique/emotion spectrum.
>
> tim hall wrote:
> > On Friday 27 January 2006 10:07, Michael T D Nelson was like:
> >>In general, I can't help but feel that if the engineer always needs to
> >>compress a acoustic recording, then the musician should really learn how
> >>to control the dynamics of his performance better.
> >
> > That really is a moot point.
> >
> > I'm of the opinion that once behind the microphone, it's the musician's
> > job to perform their part with all their heart and soul.
>
> Of course. But surely, the better the control that the musician has over
> every aspect of his performance, the better he can communicate what he
> chooses to?

Sure.

> > Having to pull your punches
> > because the technology can't handle your dynamic range does not
> > necessarily produce good results,
>
> No, but he can learn to step back from the microphone during loud
> passages, etc.

Yes, and the engineer can always place them a foot away from the microphone
with a bullet-proof pop-shield. ;)

> > and anyway, that's the engineer's job, surely?
>
> Well, partly. But the engineer can only fix so much. The engineer's job
> is much easier if the musician learns to contribute to getting a good
> recording.
>
> > Too much control on the part of the performer tends to lead to sterile
> > recordings IMO. I like rattle and hum, I enjoy the effect of pushing
> > certain bits of technology beyond their factory specs (mostly in the
> > analogue realm, it has to be said). I like to hear the squeaky chain on a
> > bass drum pedal.
>
> Funnily enough, me too.
>
> > For me, too many studios are, like hospitals, airless pits where music
> > goes to die.
>
> Which is exactly why I like to keep the music *alive*, by not
> over-producing it. :o)

Having read the further responses. I don't think I'm really in any
disagreement with the general point. The less you mess, the better.

> Regards,
> Michael
>
> PS Glastonbury's a lovely town, isn't it? I went round the abbey last
> year - it's stunning. (I'm from a village in North Devon myself, about
> to go home for a couple of weeks.)

Look me up if you're passing through.

--
cheers,