Re: [linux-audio-user] Some various questions about system configuration..

From: Dana Olson <dana@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 18:55:25 EET

On 2/1/06, Ruben Lopez <rl1205@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:27:38 -0500, Dana Olson was like:
> >On 2/1/06, robin <robin@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>
> >I actually use Ubuntu, I'm just trying to get it as close to DeMuDi
> >as possible.
>
> Just curious... why wouldn't you just use Demudi instead of Ubuntu (or do you just prefer Ubuntu)?

DeMuDi is too far behind the times, for one. I moved to Ubuntu because
I was bored of maintaining Debian Sid on my desktop. I like the fact
that they have a really good desktop Linux out there, they give out
free pressed CDs, and they have predictable release cycles. Plus I
like Gnome.

Also, DeMuDi is in a bit of trouble with that sponsor pulling out, so
it doesn't seem very stable. And Free is trying to get everything into
Debian anyhow, which means it will all filter into Ubuntu down the
line.

Although I didn't have any issue installing DeMuDi, there are some
people who use Ubuntu who couldn't get it installed. Ubuntu configures
everything for them, so they're happy and can get into Linux easily. I
want to support that, and my goals in making ubuntustudio.com are not
to undermine any of the other audio distros, but instead to provide
help for Ubuntu users.

In short, I do just prefer Ubuntu, but Debian and DeMuDi do not feel
as cohesive and polished as Ubuntu does.

Besides that, when I tried DeMuDi, a lot of apps didn't even launch
from the menus, and the mixer for my soundcard seemed a little screwy.
By focusing on Ubuntu, I can learn a lot more about how things work,
while helping out other Ubuntu users at the same time. It almost makes
me feel like I'm contributing to the community in some small way.

I have been discussing with Mark and some people from Canonical/Ubuntu
about getting Ubuntu to the point where all the manual stuff is
minimized, with a -rt kernel as an installable option, and decent
music apps added in. Dapper has almost everything missing from Breezy,
aside from apps that are not in Debian, and weren't even officially
part of DeMuDi (om, mx44, dssi, to name a few). I think there is room
for another option for musicians, don't you? Instead of people who
currently use Ubuntu and are happy with it moving to a different
distro that isn't as easy to use, I'd rather see Ubuntu improve,
giving its users more easy options and flexability.

Although I switched to Ubuntu a while back, I still run Debian on my
server. I just prefer the lack of releases for a server machine, so I
don't have to reboot every 6 months for a new kernel.

Dana