Re: [linux-audio-user] Some various questions about system configuration..

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 04:59:50 EET

On Thu February 2 2006 14:07, Lee Revell wrote:
> See, this sums up the problem right here - as long most "Linux
> users" pick their hardware based on Windows gaming performance
> first, and Linux support second, we will never be able to
> exert enough market pressure to get vendors to support Linux.

What you're missing is that the people just now trying Linux are
not "we". "We" buy our computers to run Linux. Everyone else
buys their computers to "do stuff." Whichever does a better job
of what they want to do, Windows or Linux or whatever, is what
they're going to use. If they go to the computer store and
every single laptop wireless card in the store is incompatible
with Linux (something I experienced recently when trying to find
an 802.11g card) "we" will stick experimental patches in our
kernel and recompile it and hope for the best.... everyone else
will buy the cheapest card they can get plus a copy of XP.

This is especially true of hardware in categories where a lot of
it doesn't work very well under Linux, like 3D gaming cards
(it's pointless to say they're choosing it for "Windows gaming
performance"; they're choosing it for "gaming performance" and
the relative lack of games under Linux is just another factor
pushing them back towards Windows) and more appropriately to
this list, high-end audio hardware.

I don't think it's very constructive to complain that other
people want to use their computers for what you feel are the
wrong things, as if they care whether Linux advances or not.
Best to accept that most users are not like us, and figure out
how to get Linux to do those things easier, more reliably, and
more cheaply than Windows.

Rob